Tuesday 24 May 2011

Ropa Vieja (:

Actually, I don’t have only one favourite food but there is one dish that I really like. Its name is “Ropa vieja”. It is a Cuban dish like the Chilean “carne mechada”. This meat is very seasoned and usually it’s served with rice made with kidney beans. Also, you can add fried bananas, it’s delicious!


If you want to make this dish, you will need: Meat, an onion, red pepper, green pepper, a clove of garlic, tomato sauce, olive or sunflower oil and, if you can, you can add some wine.
When you have all the ingredients you have to:
Cook the meat in water until it get tender, when it’s ready, don’t throw all the gravy because you’ll use some for the sauce. You have to fray the meat. Then you have to cut the garlic, onion and peppers in tiny bits. Fry lightly all this and season it and add the tomato sauce, the meat, the gravy and the wine (if you want to, I think that it’s better without wine). Finally, cook all this over a low heat.
There is no one that I know that doesn’t like this food, in my case, I’ll never reject it. In my house, we eat it on every New Year, we always make a banquet and there has to be the “Ropa vieja” and everybody eat at least a little.
This is that kind of food that you can eat on important dates or in normal days. If you eat it someday, you will remember me: it’s delicious!

7 comments:

  1. I didn't have hear about it before! It sees very delicious and has a funny name ahah, I hope eat it some day :)
    see you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ñami Ñami! jajajaj I have hungry whit this dish... I can imagine. I really want to eat this!
    I hope you bring to the university to steal from you ajajajaj :)
    See you and take care your food

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like any kind of meat XD!! and i am hungry now!...the dish looks delicious :P

    see you

    ReplyDelete
  4. fried bananas!! wow ... its strange! ...
    it looks delicious... some day I will surprise my boyfriend with this food ... :) for a romantic dinner 1313
    ha ha ha
    see you anilla!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow Ana, I didn't know you were an expert cook!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! i also like it very much!! ^^, my uncle makes a veery good Ropa Vieja!! and you should try his Caldosa, and Congrí, very nice..

    ReplyDelete